Saturday, June 28, 2008

BLACK: a fad ????

Disclaimer: To even have to write this down is an abomination. Though the color of "our" skin has been accepted [and i use that term scarcely] we still have not made it to where we are "it". Sad to say i dont think we ever will.


Fashion is undeniably amazing in my book. No doubt about it very material, but now days what isnt. The fashion industry has to be one of the most competitive industries that offers a wide variety of paths to roam. I love every aspect of it. My main point of this is a very recent issue that has come up in the fashion industry. Last week Vogue italia launched their very first issue with black models. What an amazing accomplishment. In the midst of my celebration I began to wonder why.....I once read that they decided to incorporate african american models into their program because that is what seemed to be "in". My question is this. Why is it that black people, though accepted, are now viewed as some sort of accessory instead of being a part of whatever the topic is. Whether in the fashion industry, wall street or even in day to day relationships. To me it seems as if people who arent of color use blacks as a ladder to heighten their self-image and it disgusts me. Have we not proven our equality? These 2 beautiful young black women have made history. 19 years old- the same age as me- and they were chosen to represent black women all across the world in Vogue italias "black" issue. It urks me that in the 21st century we are still trying to prove our worthiness, and that the statement BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL is really true.
ok im through. im getting angry.

No comments: