Sunday, January 18, 2009

Light skinned vs. Dark skinned. (partial)

ok this might be really random and i hope it comes out right.
considering the fact that I have a lot of time on my hands I have been thinking about all kinds of randomness. Something that has captivated my thoughts lately is the whole light skinned vs. dark skinned non-sense. (hopefully everyone saw the episode on tyra a while back..so i dont have to go into detail)
anyway even if you havent heard much about it im sure you know its there. Im not one of those females who doesnt talk to a dude based on his skin color. When I say that im not neccesarily talking about race..i mean the various skin colors of african americans. I have alot of friends who WONT talk to dark skinned guys or light skinned guys for that matter. I understand having a preference but sometimes we cant always get what we want.
Now I have "talked to" (i would say dated but I dont like that term) guys that were light skinned bright skinned, black as day and in between. Of course I have a preference and an ideal guy pictured in my head (to spend the rest of my life with that is) but it isnt always that easy.
I was looking through pictures of me and my friends. Most of my friends are the same ones from highschool. well pretty much all of them. I remember in high school having a convo with my bestie (lauren) about not having any dark skinned friends. It was wierd because all of the girls who considered themselves dark skinned werent really that at all. I mean im no where near yellow boned or whatever u wanna call it. i guess you can classify me as somewhere near caramel or brown skinned. In no way shape or form did we ever sit down and say were not going to hang with those girls and Im sure they never said the same about us.

lol a very old school picture. This was LSG (Lamar Senior Girls)....we threw parties..but these were the sum of my friends....well for that time period.

well i cant speak for everyone but coming from a very diverse highschool I was able to notice a lot of things about race. For one all the kids of the same race seemed to attract eachother. It was like you didnt even know the names of the other kids. I mean i came from a school with 7,000+ students. I guess my point with this is...do you think blacks of the same skin tone attract or do you think we have our own biased opinions of the other's..

sincerely,

danielle.

1 comment:

ASHLEY said...

I AGREE THERE IS A COMPLEXITY DILEMA IN EVERY RACE ...SOMETIMES YOU WILL HAVE YOUR BLACKS BUT WITHIN THE GROUP OF BLACKS YOU HAVE ANOTHER DIVISION BETWEEN THAT PARTICULAR GROUP ITSELF ...I NEVER NOTICED IT THATS CRAZY ...BUT NOW THAT YOU POINT IT OUT SPECIFICALLY AT LAMAR EVERYONE WAS DIVIDED.